Change the following passage into indirect speech.
1. The patient said to the doctor, ‘Last month my blood pressure was too high. Since then I have changed my food habits.’ The doctor asked ‘How?’ ‘I’m taking more fruits and vegetables, and very little fat in my diet. I’m having less sugar and salt now.’
2. ‘Why don’t you attend the classes?’ the teacher said to the boy. ‘You cannot expect good results unless you attend classes as I tell you.’ ‘I am sorry sir, I have offended you,‘ said the boy. ‘Thank you,’ said the teacher.
3. ‘Why were you absent?’ said the teacher. ‘The Head teacher is very angry with you. Go to him at once,’ ‘I was seriously ill,’ said Papia.
4. The old man said, ‘Can you give me some food? I have been starving for two days.’ The maid said, ‘Why do you beg? Can’t you work?’
5. The teacher said to Kamal, ‘Why are you talking in the class? You should behave yourself.’ Kamal replied, ‘Sir, I am sorry. I am asking Jamal to lend me his pen. My pen has run out.’ The teacher said, ‘Be attentive and listen to my lecture.’
6. My friend said to me, ‘Why are you reading at this hour? It is time for prayer. Let us go out for a walk after saying prayer.’ ‘Yes, I agree with you,’ said I. ‘I have been suffering from fever for a long time,’ said the student.
7. The teacher said to the student, ‘Have you prepared your lesson today?’ ‘No sir,’ replied the student. ‘I was suffering from headache yesterday. I shall do my work tomorrow.’
8. Father said to me, ‘How is your progress for the coming examination?’ I said, ‘Not so bad.’ ‘Maintain regularity to achieve your goal,’ said he. ‘May Allah help you.’
9. The traveler said to the peasant, ‘Can you tell me the way to the nearest inn?’ The peasant said, ‘Yes, I can. Do you want one in which you can spend the night?’ The traveler said, ‘I don’t wish to stay there, but I only want a meal.’
10. ‘Good morning,’ said the tourist. ‘Do you have any room vacant?’ ‘Yes sir.’ ‘Double or single?’ ‘I want one single,’ said the tourist. The receptionist said, ‘We have a single room on the second floor.’
11. ‘Have you heard the name of Aesop?’ asked the teacher. ‘No sir, who was he?’ ‘Read the book attentively and you’ll be able to know about him. How interesting and instructive his fables are!’ said the teacher.
12. The teacher said, ‘Nilima, your JSC Exam is knocking at the door. How is your preparation?’ ‘Well, sir. I am confident about my performance in the exam.’ ‘Very good. May Allah help you to do well in the exam.’ ‘Thank you, sir,’ said Nilima.
1. The patient told the doctor that last month his blood pressure had been too high. Since then he had changed his food habits. The doctor wanted to know how he changed the habit. The patient replied that he was taking more fruits and vegetables and very little fat in his diet. He also added that he was having less sugar and salt then.
2. The teacher asked the boy why he (boy) didn’t attend the classes. Then the teacher warned him and told him that he could not expect good result unless he attended classes as he (teacher) told him (boy). The boy expressed sorry to his teacher and said that he had offended him. Then the teacher thanked him (the boy).
3.The teacher asked Papia why he was absent. The teacher also said that the Head teacher was very angry with her (Papia). Then he ordered him go to the Head teacher at once Papia answered that she was seriously ill.
4. The old man asked me if I could give him some food. The old man also said that he had been starving for two days. The maid replied / asked him (old man) why he did beg. Then he also asked him if he could work.
5. The teacher asked Kamal why he was talking in the class. Then the teacher advised him to behave himself. Kamal expressed his sorry to his teacher and said that he was sorry. Kamal also said then that he was asking Jamal to lend him his (Jamal) pen. He also added that his (Kamal) pen had run out. The teacher advised him to be attentive and listen to his lecture.
6. My friend asked me why I was reading at that hour. He also said to me that it was time for prayer. Then he proposed him to go out for a walk after saying prayer. I answered in an affirmative way and said that I agreed with him. The student said that he had been suffering from fever for a long time.
7. The teacher asked the student if he (s) had prepared his lesson that day. The student respectfully replied in the negative and said that he (s) had been suffering from headache the previous day. He added that he (s) would do his work the next day.
8. Father asked me how my progress was for the coming examination. I replied that my progress was not so bad. He advised me to maintain regularity to achieve my goal and prayed that Allah might help me.
9. The traveler asked the peasant if he (p) could tell him (t) the way to the nearest inn. The peasant replied in the affirmative and said that he (p) could tell him (t) the way. The peasant asked him if he (t) wanted one in which he (t) could spend the night. The traveler replied that he did not wish to stay there but he (t) only wanted a meal.
10. The tourist wished the receptionist good morning and asked him if they had any vacant room. He respectfully replied in the affirmative and asked him if he wanted a double or a single room. The tourist replied that he wanted a single room. Then the receptionist said that they had a single room on the second floor.
11. The teacher asked the students if they had heard the name of Aesop. The students replied in the negative and asked him who he had been. The teacher advised them to read the book attentively and said that they would be able to know about him. The teacher exclaimed with wonder that his fables were very interesting and instructive.
12. The teacher reminded Nilima that her JSC Exam was knocking at the door. Then he asked her how her preparation was. Nilima replied respectfully that her preparation was well. She added that she was confident about her performance in the exam. The teacher told her that it was very good. He prayed that Allah might help her to do well in the exam. Nilima thanked him respectfully.