Part-A : Grammar
1. (a) the; (b) an; (c) A; (d) the; (e) the; (f) the; (g) a; (h) ×; (i) a; (j) ×.
2. (a) of; (b) by; (c) by; (d) down; (e) by; (f) up; (g) by; (h) in; (i) up; (j) on.
3. (a) let alone; (b) have to; (c) What ——- look like? (d) would rather; (e) As soon as; (f) was born; (g) as if; (h) had better; (i) There; (j) Would you mind.
4. (a) Trees are essential for our existence. So, we should plant more trees so that we can live happily and comfortably. (b) English is an international language. If you don’t have a good command of English, you cannot get a good job. (c) Corruption is an obstacle to our national development. It is high time we stood against this social malady. (d) My childhood was full of joys and happiness. I wish I were a child again. (e) Mobile phone is a wonder of modern science. But it has some demerits also. (f) He cannot run the business. So, he should appoint an efficient Manager to run the business well. (g) He confessed that he was guilty. So, I forgave him. (h) The students could not memorize the poem. It was too difficult for them to memorize it. (i) Since there was no more question to discuss, I proposed to break up the meeting. (j) Female education is a crying need for our country. It is a good sign that nowadays parents are sending their girl children to school.
5. (a) lived; (b) would not undergo; (c) got; (d) called; (e) was; (f) prescribe; (g) move; (h) got; (i) following; (j) was relieved.
6. (a) There is no doubt that Pohela Baishakh is the most celebrated festival in Bangladesh. (b) The city roads get so jam-packed on this first day of the Bengali year. (c) The day is enjoyed by almost everyone in his own way. (d) I do not like gathering but I enjoy the activities of this day. (e) Very few days of the year are as interesting as it.
7. I asked him where he came from. Smilingly he replied that he came from San Carlos. Then he said that he had been taking care of animals. Not quite understanding I reacted to what he had said. He confirmed saying that he had stayed there only for taking care of animals and added that he had been the last one to leave the town of San Carlos.
8. Women are nowadays as important as men in. society. They constitute nearly half of our total population. No nation can make real progress keeping half of its population in the darkness. Without the uplift of women, progress is not at all possible. Again without education, women cannot be uplifted. So, proper education should be given to women so that they can work hand in hand with men in all development programmes.
9. (a) our; (b) international language; (c) global; (d) well; (e) the; (f) language; (g) your; (h) career; (i) in every stage; (j) properly.
10. (a) In fact/Actually/Really; (b) At present/Now; (c) But; (d) It is true that; (e) Obviously; (f) Firstly/ First; (g) Secondly/Second; (h) Thirdly/Third; (i) In addition/Moreover/Besides; (j) This is why/That is why/Hence/So.
11. (a) permit; (b) liberty; (c) view; (d) unfair/partial; (e) unequal/unjust; (f) union/unity; (g) select; (h) method; (i) care/service; (j) advantage.
Student : May I come in, sir?
Principal : Yes, come in.
Student : Good morning, sir.
Principal : Good morning! How can I help you?
Student : Sir, we would like to arrange a study tour.
Principal : It’s a great idea! I’ll appreciate it. Submit an application to me so that I
can take step in favour of you.
Student : Ok, sir. We will write an application on behalf of the students.
Principal : Ok, see you.
Student : Thank you very much, sir.
Principal : You are most welcome.
Part-B : Composition
13. Writing formal letter
15 February 2020
Victoria Govt. College, Cumilla
Subject : Application for improving computer lab facilities.
With due respect we beg to state that our college is one of the first-ranking colleges in our country. About four thousand students are at present studying in our college. The number of students is increasing day by day. It is really a pity that the existing computer lab facilities are awfully frustrating. The number of computers is now the same as was five years back. At present, the students of three groups @ science, arts and commerce are choosing computer science as their elective subject. As a result, only the few computers in the computer lab cannot meet the students’ demand. So their study on computer, especially the practical classes are being hampered. We would be greatly benefited if you take proper steps in order to buy computers considering the number of the students. Moreover, the students can keep themselves updated always if each computer is connected with Internet. We, therefore, pray and hope that you would be kind enough to provide more facilities in the computer laboratory by purchasing new computers and oblige thereby.
On behalf of the students of class XII
14. Writing a report on ‘Food Adulteration’ Food Adulteration/Indiscriminate use of formalin in food/Falling ill after taking poisonous food
Staff Correspondent, The Daily Star, 10 March 2020
Now food adulteration has become a serious problem in our country. Even the villages are not free from this curse. By eating adulterated foods people are suffering from many diseases of heart, liver, lung, kidney etc. Recently mobile courts have launched campaigns in the main cities of the country. The mobile courts have found that food adulteration is occurring on a large scale across the country. The mobile courts have found unsafe levels of pesticides especially formalin in various food items. They have discovered that fishes, vegetables, fruits etc. are seriously adulterated with formalin. They have also found unsafe amounts of pesticides in milk, milk products and some items of manufactured food. We know formalin is used to preserve the dead body. But to our great horror, this poisonous element is being used on large scale to preserve food items. Consequently, people are suffering greatly.
In fact, by eating these adulterated foods, people irrespective of age are meeting an immature death. Hopefully, the government is going to take strict measures against the culprits who are involved tin adulterating food items by mixing formalin and other poisonous things with foods. In this respect, people from all walks of life must come forward and help the government to make this campaign a success.
15. Writing paragraph answering questions
Road-Accidents in Bangladesh
When a vehicle collides with another in the road, it is called road accidents. It is a common phenomenon in our country. Road accidents are increasing by leaps and bounds day by day. It is the most gruesome of the daily occurrences. It occurs in Bangladesh primarily owing to the reckless driving of the drivers. They often go almost mad to overtake without caring for traffic rules and regulations. Road accidents can cause irreparable loss and injure anyone badly. Sometimes, it takes a toll of great many valuable lives. The effect of road accidents is pathetic. A little mistake can cause a lot of tears to anybody. Somebody loses his/her dearest and nearest ones forever. Pedestrians are the worst sufferers. They are often run over by the wheel while crossing the road. However, steps should be taken to make sure that drivers abide by traffic rules. Exemplary punishment should be given to those who are held responsible for road accidents. The old vehicles should not be allowed to ply in the road. Pedestrians should be encouraged to use the footpath and overbridge while crossing the road. People from all walks of life should come forward to tackle the problem jointly.
16. Writing composition
Climate Change/Climate Change is a Threat to Our Survival on Earth
Climate change refers to changes in climate. In fact, climate on earth is constantly changing. Because of climate change, weather pattern in many regions on earth is undergoing changes. It is a great problem for the people of the world. In fact, climate on earth is constantly changing. Because of climate change, men and all living things on earth are faced with great problems. In fact, climate change is now a threat to our survival on earth.
Various factors are responsible for climate change. These are man-made and natural. The natural causes are variations in solar radiation, orbital variations, ocean variability, volcanizing etc. Man-made factors comprise worldwide rapid industrialization, deforestation, increasing vehicles across the world, use of CFCs and various other chemicals in industries etc.
Mills and factories, vehicles etc. use huge amounts of fossil fuels which produce large quantities of carbon dioxide. Owing to huge emission of carbon dioxide, the temperature of the world is gradually increasing arid thus causing greenhouse effect. Because of the increasing temperature of the world, the glaciers are melting and sea level is rising. A huge land area on earth is now under the threat of being inundated’ by sea water. This poses a serious threat to human civilization. Because of this immense inundation on earth, human beings are to face great crises. It will destroy men’s achievements in various fields. If climate change occurs at this scale for a long time, it will be difficult for human beings and many other species of animals and plants to survive on earth. Many species of animals and trees are now threatened with extinction.
So, in this situation, it is very necessary for the people of the world to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. Alongside it, they have to stop deforestation and increase afforestation. They have to use renewable energy instead of fossil fuels. If climate change is not adequately checked, human beings as well as living things are sure to face great difficulty in surviving on this beautiful earth.