Part–A : Grammar
1. Fill in the blanks with the word from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once : 0.5×10 = 5
As the temperature will (a) ___ up and the ice covering (b) ___ planet will start (c) ___ in the coming century, sea levels will (d) ___ up by (e) ___, about eight inches. An additional (f) ___ in global temperature will (g) ___ to the complete melting (g) ___ the Greenland ice cap (i) ___ will put the flora and fauna of the planet into (j) ___.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words. 0.5×10 = 5
In case of humans, global warming will (a) ___ on our food and water supplies (b) ___ with our health conditions. (c) ___ in rainfall will affect basic necessities such as agriculture, power (d) ___ etc. Increase in the temperature of ocean (e) ___ will hamper fisheries. The sudden change in (f) ___ patterns will have a hazardous effect on (g) ___ human body which won`t be able to (h) ___ with extreme conditions, a hint of which can be (i) ___ in the (j) ___ of frequent heat and cold waves.
3. Male five sentences using part of sentences from each column of the table below : 1× 5 = 5
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box : 0.5×10 = 5
Education should (a) ___ at not only (b) ___ us with literacy and information but also with refinement. Education should (c) ___ humanity without which a society must (d) ___ from lack of harmony and peace. Again, our education ought not to affect our cultural traits so that we (e) ___ culturally alienated. We should try (f) ___ in mind that (g) ___ illiterate and ignorant can only (h) ___ to our sufferings materially and spiritually. No religion (i) ___ in favour of (j) ___ away from education.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 5
“Are you unwell today?” he said coldly. “No”, I said. “Then why are you sitting when all others are working? Go out at once and give them a hand,” he said.
1. (a) go (b) the (c) thawing (d) swell (e) augmentation (f) lead (g) of (h) which (i) jeopardy
2. (a) Tell (b) along (c) Decline/Decrease (d) generation (e) currents / tides (f) weather (g) the (h) cope / adapt (i) seen / felt / understood (j) occurrences / happenings / instances
3. Education can play a significant role to build up a nation.
An uneducated man is a burden to a nation.
Illiteracy hampers all development efforts.
An educated man can play an effective role in removing illiteracy.
Removing illiteracy is a pre-condition for development.
4. (a) aim (b) providing (c) promote (d) suffer (e) do not remain (f) to bear (g) becoming (h) add (i) speaks (j) staying
5. He asked me coldly if I was unwell that day. I replied that I was not. He again asked me why I was then sitting when all others were working. After that he ordered me to go out at once and give them a hand.।