অঙ্কন : মাসুম
Complete the passage using suitable connectors :
1. Teaching is such a profession (a) ___ helps to build a nation. A teacher is (b) ___ a guide (c) ___ a pioneer. He has to dedicate to this noble profession in order to guide the nation. (d) ___, he is called an architect of a new society. (e) ___ he neglects his duties, social discipline will break down.
2. We live in environment (a) ___ includes everything around us. A good environment creates good habitants (b) ___ a polluted environment creates bad habitants. (c) ___ people live in the environment; they can bring about changes in it. (d) ___ we do not like pollution, we pollute the environment. (e) ___ we should be aware of environment pollution.
3. (a) ___ discipline is the secret of success in every sphere of life. A society in which there is no discipline is plunged into anarchy. (b) ___ in the playground the players do not observe the rules of the game and do not obey the captain, they are sure to lose the game. (c) ___ in our daily life we are to observe certain rules. (d) ___ we go to a market or to a shop to buy things or to a railway station, we have to form a queue to get what we want. (e) ___ a student has to maintain discipline strictly.
4. Population problem is the burning question of Bangladesh. (a) ___ it can be termed as number one problem. (b) ___ the population of a country is an asset, it has already become a great problem in our country (c) ___ the country cannot afford to give people the basic necessaries of life. (d) ___ food, clothing, education, medicine and shelter are the basic necessaries of life. (e) ___ our country cannot provide these equally to all.
5. Rural life and urban life have many common sides. (a) ___ differences between them are greater. Rural people do not have adequate educational and medical facilities. (b) ___ they face problems with their communication network. (c) ___, the urban people enjoy a lot of educational and medical facilities. (d) ___, the people of cities and towns enjoy a smooth and easy communication system. (e) ___ rural life is deprived of modern facilities whereas urban life is as modern as enjoyable.
6. Summer is the warmest season of the year. (a) ___ it is the season of extreme heat. Sometimes showers give relief to all. But Kalbaishakhi visits now and then. It comes with lighting, thunder, terrible wind and downpour. (b) ___ it causes havoc to life and property. (c) ___ small pox, cholera and other diseases breakout during this time. (d) ___ all these disadvantages of summer, it is not without its blessings. It is rich in juicy fruits. (e) ___ mango, litchi, blackberry, jackfruit etc.
7. The paragraph and the essay are different from each other. (a) ___ there are some similarities between them. (b) ___ the paragraph as a topic sentence to introduce the main Idea. Secondly it has a number of sentences in the middle to develop that main idea. (c) ___ there is a concluding sentence in it to bring the main idea to a close. (d) ___ by essay also consists of a beginning and a middle and an end. It is (e) ___ obvious that the paragraph and the essay share some common features in respect of the structures.
8. Computer viruses is terror to the users of computers. (a) ___ it is not biological virus, it disturbs the plain operation of a computer. Computer virus is usually a program to delete the files which are saved (b) ___ useful memories. Sometimes the virus attacks the hard disc (c) ___ harms it. (d) ___ things happen. (e) ___ no operation is possible after the attack.
1. a) that
b) both/not only
c) and/but also
d) So/That’s why
2. a) that b) but
d) Though e) So
3. a) In fact b) If
c) Even d) When
4. a) in fact b) though c) because
d) For example
5. a) But b) Besides c) Whereas/On the other hand
d) Moreover e) thus
6. a) In fact
b) As a consequence
d) Despite e) namely
7. a) Nevertheless
b) Firstly c) Finally d) In the same way
8. a) Though
b) along with c) and
d) If e) thus