6. Read the text below and fill in the gaps using the clues given in the box. There are more words than necessary. One word can be used once only. 0.5 × 10 = 5
Culture (a) — in a geographical boundary. All faith and beliefs, habits and manners, rituals, rules and regulation, (b) — , dress, food habits, superstition, arts and crafts, invention, technology etc. (c) — the culture of a (d) — . In short, it is people’s whole (e) — of life. Culture (f) — in fact, (g) — one part of the world to (h) — and it changes (i) —. The change may be slow or (j) — .
7. Read the text below and fill in the gaps using suitable words to make it a meaningful text. 1×5 = 5
Truthfulness is a great virtue. It is (a) — to be the noblest of all virtues. It denotes a man’s (b) — of speaking the ‘truth. This virtue (c) — a man nothing, but it earns a lot. For example, it crowns a man (d) success and dignity. In (e) —, everybody loves him and shows him true honour.
8. Match the part of sentences from columns A and B to make five complete sentences. Column B has one more option than required. 1×5 = 5
|Column A||Column B|
|(a) A dictionary shows||i. in its simple present tense|
|(b) Prefixes and suffixes||ii. about the words of a language|
|(c) A verb word is always given||iii. at the top of the page|
|(d) Meanings of words are given||iv. in a dictionary|
|(e) A dictionary gives information||v. how to pronounce a word|
|vi. help to make new words|
9. Read the text below and fill in the gaps with the root words in the brackets adding suitable suffix, prefix or both. 0.5×10 = 5
Success in life depends on the proper (a) — (utilize) of time. It is known to all that life is short but art is long. Those who waste their (b) — (value) time in (c) — (idle) reduce the time of their important work. (d) — (punctual) is another great virtue of human beings that (e) — (rich) the human life. Everybody should imitate it. If you take lessons from the (f) — (biography) of a (g) — (success) persons, you will learn that they did not make any (h) — (waste) of time. Moreover, the great men of the world were very sincere and (i) — (devote) to their (j) — (respect) work.
10. Change the following sentences as directed in the brackets. 1 × 5 = 5
(a) Anger begets nothing but the worst. (Interrogative)
(b) Nobody likes an angry man. (Affirmative)
(c) What a miserable life an angry man leads! (Assertive)
(d) By avoiding anger one can lead an easy and comfortable life. (Negative)
(e) So, we should control anger for our own sake. (Voice)
11. Fill in the gaps in the following text with appropriate articles (a, an or the). Put a cross (Í) where no article is used 0.5×10 = 5
A true friend is (a) — asset. He stands by his (b) — friend in time of danger. He is not (c) — greedy person. He always wishes for (d) —welfare of his friend. But it is (e) — matter of (f) — fact that (g) — ideal friend is very rare today. (h) — selfish person cannot be (i) — true friend. He thinks of his own (j) — interest.
12. Use capital letters and punctuation marks as needed in the following passage. 0.5×10 = 5
the teacher said to arif why are you talking in the class arif replied sir i am asking rashid to lend me his pen the teacher said be attentive in the class
13. Rewrite the following passage changing the form of speech : 5
“Raihan, can you tell me who has broken the bench?” “Sorry, sir, I can’t. I was busy with my preparation for class test,” said Raihan. “Sit down. It is very bed to damage property of the school,” said the teacher.
6. (a) grows (b) language
(c) influence (d) nation
(e) way (f) differs
(g) from (h) another
(i) continually (j) rapid
7. (a) supposed
8. (a) + v A dictionary shows how to pronounce a word.
(b) + vi Prefixes and suffixes help to make new words.
(c) + i A verb word is always given in its simple present tense.
(d)+ iv Meanings of words are given in a dictionary.
(e) + ii A dictionary gives information about the words of a language.
9. (a) utilization
(f) biographies / autobiographies
10. (a) Anger begets nothing but the worst.
(b) Everybody dislikes an angry man.
(c) An angry leads a very miserable life.
(d) Without avoiding anger no one can lead an easy and comfortable life.
(e) So, anger should be controlled by us for our own sake.
11. (a) an (b) × (c) a (d) the (e) a (f) × (g) an (h) a (j) ×
12. The teacher said to Arif, “Why are you talking in t lass?” Arif replied, “Sir, I am asking Rashid to lend me his pen.” The teacher said, “Be attentive in the class.”
13. The teacher asked Raihan by name if he (R) could tell him (t) who had broken the bench. Respectfully expressing sorrow, Raihan told that he could not tell. He added that he had been busy with his preparation for class test. Then the teacher told him (R) to sit down. He also remarked that it was very bad to damage property of the school.