1. (i) (d) all of the above
(ii) (a) a covering for all or part of the face (iii) (b) take air into the lungs and then expel it (iv) (a) trace (v) (b) the crew (vi) (c) A pleasant journey (vii) (c) forbidden
2. (a) Oxygen and air pressure are always monitored.(b) If there is a lack of oxygen, an oxygen mask will automatically appear in front of the passengers. (c) The safety information will be found in the card-located in the seat pocket in front of the passengers.
(d) Passengers are suggested to ask the crew members if they have any question.
3. (a) regular (b) properly
(c) daily (d) away (e) which
4. (i) 25°C (ii) 31°C (iii) New York (iv) 29°C (v) 13°C
5. (a) True. (b) False, New York's temperature at midnight was one degree lower than Rome's. (c) True, (d) False. The temperature at midnight in Paris was 11°C less than that at noon in Paris. (e) False. It was cloudy and dry at Stockholm.
6. (a) grow (b) is (c) grow (d) is (e) soundness (f) sound (g) having (h) have (i) eat (j) eating
7. (a) cold (b) fog (c) rays (d) distance (e) seen
8. (a) Iron is the most useful of all metals. (b) It is made from iron ore.
(c) Modern civilization largely depends on iron.
(d) Iron is available all over the world. (e) The construction of any building is impossible without Iron.
9. (a) agricultural (b) mainly () suitable (d) cultivation
(e) dependent (f) untimely (g) abnormal (h) growth
(i) shortage (j) technology.
10. (a) a (b) × (c) the (d) the (e) × (f) the (g) the (h) the
(i) the (j) the
11. (a) How wonderful computer is! b) It has changed the whole world.
(c) Doesn't it work like Aladdin's magic lamp or wand? (d) Our workloads have been lessened by computer. (e) We cannot but depend on it.
12. Indirect : Dabir asked Manika how she was. Manika replied that she was not in hilarious spirits. Dabir also asked if it was Pintu again. She sighed and replied in the affirmative that it was Pintu.
13. The children say ‘Eid-Mubarak’ to each other. Nafisa is wearing a red frock. She looks happy too. Shihab’s mother Ms Fatema Banu has prepared many special dishes for Eid. She has made ‘firni’, ‘Jarda’, ‘polao’, ‘korma', and many other items. Shihab and Nafisa's favorite dish is firni.