Fill in the gaps
পরীক্ষায় ৫ নম্বর প্রশ্নটি হলো Cloze Test without clues. এটি English For Today বই থেকে দেওয়া হয়। বইটি ভালো করে পড়া থাকলে সঠিক উত্তর দেওয়া সম্ভব। প্রশ্নটিতে a থেকে j পর্যন্ত মোট ১০টি Gap থাকবে এবং প্রতিটিতে ০১ করে মোট নম্বর ১০।
[Fill in the gaps with suitable words. Cloze Test without clues (Extracted From EFT)]
1. The long and wide beach at Kuakata has a (a) _ natural setting. This sandy beach slopes b) _ into the Bay of Bengal and bathing there as c) _ as is swimming or diving. Kuakata is truly a (d) _ beach and a (e) _ for migratory winter birds. Fishing boats (f) _ in the Bay of Bengal with colourful (g) _, surfing waves and the lines of coconut trees add to the (h) _ colours of Kuakata. The (i) _ culture of the Rakhaine community and hundred year old Buddhist temple indicate the age-old tradition and cultural (j) _ of this area.
Answers : (a) unique (b) gently (c) pleasant (d) virgin (e) sanctuary (f) plying (g) sails (h) vibrant
(i) indigenous (j) heritage.
2. A peace movement is a social movement that (a) _ to achieve ideals such as the (b) _ of a particular war (or all wars), minimize inter-human violence in a particular (c) _ or type of situation, including ban of guns, and is often linked to the (d) _ of achieving world peace. Means to achieve these
(e) _ includes advocacy of (f) _, non-violent resistance, diplomacy, boycotts, demonstrations, (g) _ camps, supporting anti-war political (h) _ and banning guns, creating (i) _ government, direct democracy, supporting people who (j) _ war-crimes or conspiracies to create wars, and making laws.
Answers : (a) tends (b) ending
(c) place/area (d) goals (e) include
(f) pacifism (g) peace (h) candidate
(i) open (j) wage.
3. The Sundarbans is known for vanishing (a) _ but the scientists said the current (b) _ of the mangrove forests on the southern coastline in not normal. “The causes for increasing coastline retreat, other than direct anthropogenic ones, include increased frequency of (c) _ surges and other extreme (d) _ events, rises in (e) _ and increased salinity which increases the (f) _ of mangroves’, said Pettorelli.” Our results indicate a rapidly retreating (g) _ that cannot be accounted for by the (h) _ dynamics of the Sundarbans. Degradation is happening (i) _, weakening this natural (j) _ for India and Bangladesh.
Answers : (a) Islands (b) retreat
(c) storm (d) natural (e) sea
(f) vulnerability (g) coastline (h) regular (i) fast (j) shield.
4. Dreams have fascinated philosophers for thousands of years but only (a) _ have dreams been subjected to (b) _ research and scientific study. Chances are that we often find ourselves puzzling over the (c) _ of a dream or perhaps we (d) _ why we dream at all. A dream can (e) _ any of the images, thoughts and (f) _ that are experienced during sleep. Dreams can be extraordinarily (g) _ or very (h) _; filled with joyful emotions or (i) _ emotions; focused and understandable or unclear and (j) _.
Answers : (a) recently (b) empirical (c) content (d) wonder (e) include (f) emotions (g) vivid (h) vague (i) frightening (j) confusing.
5. Orpheus was presented by his father with a (a) _ and taught to play upon it which he did to such (b) _ that nothing could (c) _ the charm of his music. Not only his (d) _, but wild animals also were (e) _ by his music. The very trees and rocks were (f) _ by him. The former (g) _ around him and the latter (h) _ somewhat of their (i) _ softened by his (j)_.
Answers : (a) lyre (b) perfection
(c) withstand (d) fellow-mortals
(e) softened (f) charmed
(g) crowded/gathered (h) relaxed
(i) hardness (j) notes/music.
6. The term ‘Diaspora’ is used to (a) _ to people who have left their homelands and (b) _ in other parts of the world, either because they were (c) _ to do so or (d) _ they wanted to leave on their (e) _ The word is increasingly (f) _ for such people as a (g) _ group and/or a community. The world has seen many (h) _ but scholars have been studying the (i) _ with great interest only in
(j) _ decades.
Answers : (a) refer (b) settled (c) forced (d) because (e) own (f) used (g) collective (h) diasporas
(i) phenomenon (j) recent.
7. Among the great diasporas of history is that of the (a) _ people, who were forced to (b) _ their lands in ancient times. The (c) _ of Aryans from Central Europe to the Indian Sub-continent thousands of years ago is also a (d) _ Diaspora, although the causes of this diaspora are (e) _. In the twentieth century history, the (f) _ Diaspora has attracted a lot of attention and been a cause of (g) _ for world leaders because of the (h) _ of Palestinians. There have been (i) _ diasporas in Africa, too, over the centuries, either because of war or because of the (j) _ of nature. But the chief reason why the phenomenon of diaspora is attracting so much attention now is globalization.
Answers : (a) Jewish (b) leave (c) movement (d) noteworthy (e) unclear (f) Palestinian (g) concern
(h) plight (i) massive (j) ravages.
8. Migration from Bangladesh to Britain (a) _ in 1930s and was predominantly a Sylheti (b) _. Men of this particular geographical area (c) _ by the British ship companies first started the (d) _ of migration. These men were (e) _ illiterate and belonged to the landless
(f) _. After the World War II, due to labour (g) _, British government encouraged labour migration from its
(h) _ colonies. The post-war British economy demanded (i) _ and plentiful labour, much of which was (j) _ from South Asia.
Answers : (a) started (b) phenomenon (c) employed (d) process (e) largely (f) peasant (g) shortage (h) former (i) cheap (j) recruited.
9. In Brick Lane area street signs are not just in English but also in (a) _ . And the lamp posts are in green and red resembling the (b) _ of the Bangladeshi flag. In fact, everywhere one may (c) _ the visual cues of the Bangladeshi, and even more specially, the Sylheti (d) _ in the area. Storefronts (e) _ flights from London to Sylhet, some on Bangladesh Biman the national airline in Bangladesh and others on Air Sylhet, a private airline company (f) _ by British Bangladeshis. There is a (g) _ of Sonali Bank. the major (h) _ commercial Bank of Bangladesh. There is a food store (i)_ frozen fish from Sylhet’s Surma (j)_ .
Answers : (a) Bengali (b) colour (c) see (d) presence (e) advertise (f) formed
(g) sign (h) state-own (i) advertising