ছবি : মোহাম্মদ আসাদ
Fill in the blanks
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the form of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 10×0.5=5
Population explosion is a constant threat to (a) _____ environmental development (b) _____ over all our existence. Especially (c) _____ Bangladesh the population is growing (d) _____ such a high rate
(e) _____ environment may soon fail to supply
(f) _____ their minimum necessities. Unless we
(g) _____ immediate steps to stop (h) _____ rapid growth of population. Our environment (i) _____ one day encounter unpredictable difficulty and danger. Consequently, the inhabitants (j) _____ experience destruction.
Answers : a) our; b) and; c) in; d) at; e) that;
f) with; g) take; h) this; i) may; j) will;
02. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the form of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 10×0.5=5
The paragraph and the essay are different (a) _____ each other. But there are some similarities (b) _____ them. Firstly, the paragraph has a topic sentence to introduce (c) _____ main idea. Secondly it has a number of (d) _____ in the middle to develop that main idea. Finally, there is a concluding sentence (e) _____ it to bring the idea to (f) _____ close. Similarly, the essay also consists (g) _____ beginning, middle and (h) _____ end. It is, therefore, (i) _____ obvious concluding the paragraph and the essay share some common
(j) _____ in respect of the structures.
Answers : a) from; b) between; c) the;
d) sentences; e) in; f) main; g) a; h) of; i) an;
03. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the form of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 10×0.5=5
Habit is an inherent quality of a man. It is (a) _____ called second nature. A man cannot go against his (b) _____ nature. So he can’t go (c) _____ the habit or habits, he has (d) _____ formed. Habit is formed by (e) _____ the same thing again and again. In other word (f) _____ is the source of habit. The researchers say that if a chicken goes to a (g) _____ corner of a house and spends a night (h) _____ it does the same thing as the (i) _____ of habit. So it is difficult to give up habit (j) _____ if it is once formed.
Answers : a) sometimes; b) inborn; c) against; d) already; e) doing; f) frequency; g) specific;
h) there; i) influence; j) easily;
04. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the form of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 10×0.5=5
Interpol is the name of (a) _____ International Criminal Police Organization. (b) _____ word ‘Interpol’ comes (c) _____ two words. International and Police and stands (d) _____ the International Criminal Police Commission. Interpol is strictly (e) _____ non-political, non-religious, non-racial organization in which the police (f) _____ of more than one hundred different (g) _____ cooperate (h) _____ one another. (i) _____ headquarter is (j) _____ Paris.
Answers : a) the; b) The; c) from; d) for; e) a;
f) forces; g) nations; h) with; i) Its; j) in;
5. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the form of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 10×0.5=5
Self-employment means to create (a) _____ opportunity for (b) _____ by one’s own effort. Various government organizations are trying to (c) _____ a congenial atmosphere for self-employment. Different NGO’s have (d) _____ rendered their help. Livestock (e) _____ , agriculture (f) _____ , poultry (g) _____ are some of the (h) _____ . There are many (i) _____ for self–employment in Bangladesh. One can (j) _____ engage oneself in these jobs.
Answer: a) job; b) oneself; c) create; d) also;
e) rearing; f) farming; g) raising; h) sectors;
i) opportunities; j) easily;