মো: জাকারিয়া আলম, প্রভাষক, ঢাকা রেসিডেনসিয়াল মডেল কলেজ, মোহাম্মদপুর, ঢাকা
২১ ফেব্রুয়ারি, ২০১৭ ০০:০০
Fill in the blanks with appropriate preposition
1. The secret of success in life lies (a) — the proper use of time. Many of us are opt (b) — forget that every moment is precious. We do not know when we shall be called (c) — from this world by death. During this limited period we have (d) — build (e) — our body and mind and apply them (f) — useful activities.
Answers : (a) in; (b) to; (c) in; (d) to; (e) up; (f) for.
2. The Eiffel Tower was named (a) — Gustave Eiffel, a Frenchman. He was born (b) — a prosperous family in 1832. He graduated (c) — the Central School (d) — Engineering (e) — Paris. Then he went to work (f) — a railway construction company.
Answers : (a) after; (b) in; (c). from; (d) of; (e) in; (f) for.
3. A good students is never indifferent (a) — his career. He knows well that success lies (b) — hard work. (c) —, he always absorbers (d) — deep studies. Nothing can prevent him (e) — working hard. His hard work and sincerity result (f) — ultimate success.
Answers : (a) to; (b) in; (c) So; (d) in; (e) from; (f) in.
4. Charity is a virtue that elevates human nature. A person should be endowed (a) — this virtue. It leads people to think favorably (b) — their fellowmen and do them good. Everybody should practice this habit (c) — the very childhood. The right use of it brings happiness (d) — earth. It is a form (e) — self-sacrifice (f) — which society cannot exist.
Answers : a) with; (b) about; (c) from; (d) to; (e) of; (f) without.
5. Man has an unquenchable thirst (a) — knowledge. He is never satisfied (b) — what he has known and seen. For this, he set out (c) — traveling. But it needs a lot of money and patience. The people (d) — developed countries are fit (e) — it. So, they are capable (f) — earning practical knowledge.
Answers : (a) for; (b) with; (c) for; (d) of; (e) for; (f) of.
6. Everyone desires (a) — wealth. But a few attain it. Some people hanker (b) — riches. Some are content (c) — what they have. True happiness lies (d) — contentment. It is high time we gave (e) — the habit (f) —covetousness.
Answers : (a) for; (b) after; (c) with; (d) in; (e) up; (f) of.
7. A diary is a record (a) — daily events, thoughts and feelings. Many things happen (b) — life. We cannot keep all of them (c) — memory. A complete diary is a life story (d) — brief. We should (e) — develop the habit (f) — writing a diary.
Answers : a) of; (b) in; (c) in; (d) in; (e) always; (f) of
8. Yesterday a college student was run (a) — by a car. The student was crossing the road and walking (b) — Dhaka College rushed (c) — the spot. The student was taken (d) — Dhaka Medical College Hospital. The doctors and the nurses came (e) — to help the student. A medical board was formed headed (f) — Dr. Abdul Karim.
Answers : (a) over; (b) towards; (c) on; (d) to; (e) forward-, by.
9. (a) — a city life has many advantages; a city dweller sometimes gets tired (b) — it. He cannot attend the office and other places (c) — time because (d) — traffic jams. The air in the city is polluted (e) — smoke and dust. Besides, He is always busy (f) — a lot of commitments.
Answers : (a) Although; (b) of; (c) in; (d) of; (e) by; (f) with.