Read the passage carefully and answer questions 1, 2 and 3.
Most of these ethnic people living in Bangladesh have some common characteristics. They have their own lifestyles.
They build their houses on bamboo or wooden platforms called 'machang'. Rice is their staple food. They eat vegetables, maize and fish, poultry and meat. Their kitchen utensils are bamboo, wooden and earthen pots which they make themselves. Men wear lungis and women wear thamis or sarongs and angis. Women weave their own clothes.
Hunting and fishing are their favourite pastimes. They are fond of songs, music, dances, theatres and fairs. Traditional musical instruments used are bugles made from buffalo horns, drums and bamboo flutes. Wrestling is a popular sport for them.
1. Guess the meaning of the following words and choose the correct meaning closest to the text
a. Most —
(i) many (ii) great (iii) high (iv) rich
(i) ordinary (ii) same
(iii) simple (iv) shared by many
(i) ways of living (ii) culture
(iii) earning (iv) art
(i) minor (ii) major
(iii) principal (iv) principle
(i) necessary (ii) articles
(iii) things (iv) tools
(i) use (ii) put
(iii) have something on body (iv) cover
(i) kill (ii) catch
(iii) chase (iv) chase and catch
(i) dislike (ii) loving
(iii) disgust (iv) ignoring
(i) quarreling (ii) fighting
(iii) holding (iv) killing
(i) liked by many (ii) liked by few
(iii) liked by all (iv) disliked by all
(i) make (ii) new (iii) sew (iv) ankle
2. Answer the following questions in brief.
a. What has been said in the first line about most Bangladeshi ethnic people ?
b. What is said about their lifestyles?
c. What is 'machang'?
d. How is a 'machang' built?
e. What is the principal food of the ethnic people?
f. What can you say about their kitchen utensils?
g. What do you know about men and women's dress?
h. Who weave their own clothes?
i. How do the ethnic people spend their leisure time?
j. What are they fond of?
k. What kind of musical instruments do they use?
l. What are their musical instrument made from?
m. What is their popular sport?
3. Read the passage again and write a summary of it in around 50 words.
1. a-i, b-iv, c-i, d-iii, e-iv, f-iii, g-iv, h-ii,i-ii, j-i, k-i
2. a. Most of the Bangladeshi ethnic people have some common characteristics.
b. They follow their own lifestyles.
c. ‘Machang’ is the name of the ethnic people’s house.
d. A ‘machang’ is built on bamboo or wooden platforms.
e. Rich is the principal food of the ethnic people.
f. Their kitchen utensils are bamboo, wooden and earthen pots which they make themselves.
g. Men wear lungis and women wear thamis or sarongs and angis.
h. Ethnic women weave their own clothes.
i. They spend their leisure time by hunting and fishing.
j. They are fond of songs, music, dances, theatre and fairs.
k. They use traditional musical instruments.
l. Their musical instruments are made from buffalo horns, drums and bamboo.
m. Wrestling is a popular sport for them.
3. Bangladeshi ethnic people share some common characteristics who have their own lifestyles. They build their houses on bamboo or wooden platforms. They heir staple food is rice. Ethnic men wear lungis and women thamis or sarongs and angis. Their favourite pastimes are hunting and fishing and they are fond of cultural activities.।